The original canal route joined up and diverted drainage channels.
After it closed, flooding of properties was a regular occurrence in the villages and town below the Copthill rapids which were especially deep after the 1947 winter snows melted. So major plans were put into action after 1950 to take the main part of the river away from the populated areas to minimise further potential floods.
A sequence of weirs and sluices were built to ensure the original channels were kept watered to go via the mills in the villages below.
The Maxey Cut, as it became known, diverted the main flow into a channel from Tallington above the Bainton Rd bridge across country to the south-east of Deeping St James and back into the main channel of the River Welland - shown on the Plan View below
< Back Flood relief is an important part of the story
The Stamford Canal << The earliest proper canal in England? <<